Stu Redman

Default Want to add a sunroom

Go with a professional patio company. I went with Patio Enclosures, and am
extremely pleased. They had the fairest price out of 3 bidders, and the
best quality as well. Plus, their installers are full-time staff (as
opposed to contractors), so that made me feel even better about the quality
of the installation.

To give you an idea of price, mine was $12,000 for a 3-season room. A
4-season room like what you're wanting would have been about $19,000. Of
course all that depends on size, amenities, etc.

"MaryL" wrote in message
I would like to add a sunroom to the back of my house (if I can afford

it).
I have two sets of French doors that lead onto a patio with a brick wall
(including chimney) between them and one brick wall vertical to that edge

of
the house. The fireplace was originally a wood-burning fireplace with gas
igniter but was converted to gas logs several years ago. I would like

glass
all-around the two walls that will be added to create the room and

possibly
a tile floor. I live in East Texas (where it gets very hot), and I want
this to be a comfortable room where I can watch the birds, look at my
garden, etc. This means that the air conditioner/heating system would

need
to be extended to the sunroom unless the cost is prohibitive, and I would
need electrical and TV cable connections.

Whew! I am single (nearing retirement age) and know absolutely nothing
about construction. I will use professionals for all of the work, but can
anyone give me some ideas about how I should approach this? -- questions

ask, potential problems to watch for, etc. Will I need an architect

(which
would be very expensive), or is this type of project simple enough that

the
contractor should be able to design it. I do want it to be well done -- I
have heard too many horror stories about leaking roofs, etc. to want take
chances even if it would save some money. In other words, I will probably
want it done "right" (if I can afford it) or not at all (if I can't afford
it).

Thanks for any help you can give me in getting started.

MaryL