MaryL

Default Want to add a sunroom

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:43:42 -0500, "MaryL"
wrote:

Whew! I am single (nearing retirement age) and know absolutely nothing
about construction. I will use professionals for all of the work, but

can
anyone give me some ideas about how I should approach this? -- questions

ask, potential problems to watch for, etc. Will I need an architect

(which
would be very expensive), or is this type of project simple enough that

the
contractor should be able to design it. I do want it to be well done --

have heard too many horror stories about leaking roofs, etc. to want take
chances even if it would save some money. In other words, I will

probably
want it done "right" (if I can afford it) or not at all (if I can't

afford
it).

Thanks for any help you can give me in getting started.

MaryL

Hi Mary,

You probably don't need an architect .. most renovations contractors
can design something as simple as a sun room and have engineers to
double check their work.

I would suggest you seek out a couple of contractors who specialize in
additions/renovations. You may find them through the local
homebuilder's associations, through ads in renovations or community
magazines. You may even spot them just by driving around ... most of
us put signs on the lawns of projects we're doing.

The best is word of mouth ...

You're probably looking for a fellow, old enough to have a good track
record of successful additions/renovations.

I'd ask for advice on how it should be built, and on the likely costs.
Just a ballpark -- a detailed estimate takes time. (Once they see
you're serious and that you value their time, they'll give you more
of it.)

Pay special attention of the AC plan and costs. With an idea of
what's being built and how, I'd ask the contractor to check with his
HVAC guys, or approach a couple of HVAC contractors yourself ... be
prepared to tell them what system you have now, the size of your
house, the size of the addition and the exposure (ie south). Ask
them what you need and what the ballpark costs are likely to be.

If it all seems workable, check references carefully, visit a couple
of previous jobs and visit current job sites (including unscheduled
driveby's) .. and of course, talk to the owner.

Your approach sounds upfront and reasonable ... and that's the kind of
contractor you'll probably attract.

Good luck

Ken

Thanks very much. There is lots of helpful information here. Incidentally,
I have used the same person for AC service for 24 years (18 years in my
previous home and 6 years in this house). He is a gem, and I want his
services to be included in the contract.

MaryL