Jay Chan

Default How to Stiffen Concrete While Keeping Long Work Time?

What you are proposing requires a lot of concrete, do you have any idea
how much that is going to weigh? Do you know how hard it is to move around
and get the proper level

You are exactly right. From my failed attempt to level the floor two
months ago, I know that this requires a lot of concrete (and the many
bags of concrete were very heavy). Luckily, I have already raised the
low area to within 1/2" to 1" of the leveling line. I have seen the
end of the tunnel, and I cannot wait to get this over with.

For anyone who is reading this thread and is thinking of leveling a
basement floor by himself, I have two suggestions:
1. You may find that living with bare concrete floor or painted
concrete floor actually is not bad -- as compared to the effort of
trying to level a basement floor.
2. You may find that spending the money to fire a pro to do this may
be more economical than doing this yourself.

( I doubt if you really want it level, normally you want it to drain.).

Actually, I want it to be level because I want to put tiles over it.
The other side of the basement is left unfinished, and the drain hole
is in that side of the basement.

Have you worked a slab that large before? Even a smallish slap requires
a crew of experienced people working together, and then it is hard work.
Working in a basement is usually more difficult than working on the ground.

I really think you should reconsider this idea of doing it yourself.

Yes, you are right. This is really not a DIY kind of thing. But too
late for me. I have already spent so much effort on this, and I have
already emotionally committed to this project. If I could start this
over with, I will either hire a pro, or I will just learn to live with
the bare concrete floor.

Jay Chan