Joseph Meehan

Default attempted overcharge for cement work?

I would be worried about that tree first. Grinding down the roots are
not going to get rind of them, even cutting them will not get rid of them
Either the tree is going to die or with that root cut topple in the wind or
just die. Get a tree person to resolve that problem first. Then you have
the other problem. The prices may be ok, considering they have to get rid
of what is there, dig out enough to make a new solid foundation and then
replace the concrete.

The bids should have told you how thick they were going to pour and how
they were going to prepare the foundation. I personally would want it
reinforced, but many people are successful without reinforcement.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Zemedelec" wrote in message
I have an extremely short section of cement driveway (from the street,

upwards
at a slight angle to cross the sidewalk, to my gate--after which it

changes
into a two parallel cement tracks for wheels, which are OK. It's about 12

feet
long, 6-7 wide. ) Since I have a low-slung car (and to prevent myself

and
others from falling while crossing this area) I want it replaced. When I

bought
the house some of this section had already separated into separate, very

thick
chunks, a couple of which were even heaved to the side so the dirt beneath
could be seen.

I've had two bids from independent workers. One said the roots of a

nearby oak
were pushing up the cement and would have to be ground down before he

could
pour, and wanted "maybe $800." The other mentioned wire netting, rebar,

etc.
as well as root grinding and cement and wanted $1,100.

This seems like a lot of money for a rather small job, and it's in an area

(New
Orleans) where prices can vary widely for the same work--not necessarily

in
reference to the quality of the work or materials but sometimes simply

because
the worker thinks you don't know what the median price is. Feedback,

please!
zemedelec