Joseph Meehan

Default How to Stiffen Concrete While Keeping Long Work Time?

What you are proposing requires a lot of concrete, do you have any idea
how much that is going to weigh? Do you know how hard it is to move around
and get the proper level ( I doubt if you really want it level, normally you
want it to drain.).

Have you worked a slab that large before? Even a smallish slap requires
a crew of experienced people working together, and then it is hard work.
Working in a basement is usually more difficult than working on the ground.

I really think you should reconsider this idea of doing it yourself.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
I would like to know the way to stiffen concrete (not too waterly)
while still allow me enough time to work on it.

What I am trying to do is to level the basement floor. My floor is not
level - the difference from one side to another side is around 3
inches. In order to level the floor, I am supposed to use concrete to
build up a dam around the edge of the basement wall, then I can use a
long wood block (2x4) that rides on the dam to level the floor. My
question is about whether the concrete will be too waterly to hold
itself up, especially in the area that I need to build the dam to 3
inches tall.

I guess I should add less water into the concrete mix to make sure it
is stiff enough. But I am afraid that the concrete will dry too fast
that doesn't give me enough time to build the dam very nicely. I guess
making small batches will help in this situation. I am just wondering
whether there is other alternatives.

I am planning to use concrete that has pre-mixed with sand (not small
stones). I mention this just in case this matters.

Thanks in advance for any tip.

Jay Chan