Larry Caldwell

Default vinyl paint on house

(lee) writes:
I am considering to my have my house vinyl sided and have gotten estimates
from local conractors. One contractor was also recommending liquid vinyl
paint. The salesman said that it won't peel, crack, or fade like regular
paint and never have to paint your house again. Sounds intriguing, so I
started checking it out. They are marketing this vinyl painting in the
Boston area since this January and have 3 or 4 houses done this way. I
checked out the houses and have talked with owners; and they are very happy
with the quality of the work. Supposedly, this stuff has been around since
the 70's and used only in industrial and institutional structures and
buildings and now is going into the homes. The cost is comparable to a
low-end siding job.
Does anybody any experience with liquid vinyl paint in long term. Does it
really hold up over time?

The base color of your vinyl will hold up fine for 20 years or so. Why
don't you wait 20 years and see how the vinyl paint holds up. You can
decide then what you want to do.

The joy of vinyl siding is that it won't peel, crack or fade like painted
siding, and you will never have to paint your house again. Actually, the
only color that appears to be permanent is white. Other colors will
eventually lighten and start to appear chalky, but it takes many years.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc