Joseph Meehan

Default Central air advice needed

"joe~V~3838" wrote in message
Hey everyone, well, I'm poor, had heart surgery, lost my job,, so I can't
afford to
hire a ac mechanic to come out and add freon to my central air unit right
now, since it'll cost about
$80 , at least that's what it did last time.

Sorry, but you need most than more freon. You need the leak fixed.

I had a guy come out about a year and several months ago and he said it had
a slow freon
leak and filled it up (at $8/lb ouch). He said just run it until something
breaks...

He is your problem. I is criminal to suggest that. It means he is
going to come back time and time again costing you more in the long run that
just fixing it right.

Anyways, I figured I'd like to check the freon level and add some if needed,
but don't know
what hose to put the freon in. There are 2 tubes with male adapters to them,
one is insulated with black insulation and the other is just a copper tube
,both coming from the ac unit into the house.

You don't have the knowledge equipment or freon. It would be a lot
cheaper to have it done.

I have a hose that adds the freon and another hose that has a guage on it.
Does it matter what hose goes to what pipe?
and how many lbs should be in the system? is it different for each unit?
or basicly all the same.
The unit is a Trane and about 20 years old.... and the house has about 1000
sq ft.of space.
I'd appreciate any advice or help, I did a search on google but can't find
any useful info on how to add freon to unit and what hose goes where, plus
the amount that should be in system.

Thanks in advance......

joe

--