joe~V~3838

Default Central air advice needed

Hey everyone, well, I'm poor, had heart surgery, lost my job,, so I =
can't afford to=20
hire a ac mechanic to come out and add freon to my central air unit =
right now, since it'll cost about=20
$80 , at least that's what it did last time.
I had a guy come out about a year and several months ago and he said it =
had a slow freon
leak and filled it up (at $8/lb ouch). He said just run it until =
something breaks...
Anyways, I figured I'd like to check the freon level and add some if =
needed, but don't know
what hose to put the freon in. There are 2 tubes with male adapters to =
them, one is insulated with black insulation and the other is just a =
copper tube ,both coming from the ac unit into the house.
I have a hose that adds the freon and another hose that has a guage on =
it.
Does it matter what hose goes to what pipe?=20
and how many lbs should be in the system? is it different for each unit?
or basicly all the same.=20
The unit is a Trane and about 20 years old.... and the house has about =
1000 sq ft.of space.
I'd appreciate any advice or help, I did a search on google but can't =
find any useful info on how to add freon to unit and what hose goes =
where, plus the amount that should be in system.

Thanks in advance......

joe