Andy Francke

Default Squeaky T&G subfloor

"Jim Mc Namara" wrote in message
om...
If you have either 2x8's or 2x10's o.c. for floor joist spacing - I would
expect the floor to seem a little less "solid", Andy - because they are.
Would you find it feasible to in and add additional joists so they are at
least on 24" centers? I believe I would - not just to stop the squeaking
issue - but to ad some structural integrity to the floor.

Thanks.

This is what I was wondering - whether retrofitting in more joists is
generally possible (obviously whether it is specifically possible in my case
is ultimately the question, though as I'm sure some will point out, somebody
with experience will need to make that determination - I just wanted to know
if such a thing were advisable/doable before calling around about it).

I guess the key question is whether those joists are going to need extra
piers or not - the crawlspace is filled with footings on top of which posts
are placed, supporting the joists above. Adding more of these, I gather
would be the most difficult aspect of all this.

Andy