chris French

Default Recessing elecric socket - please help!

In message , Rebecca
writes
Hi,

Due to a forthcoming baby arrival, whilst decorarting the
nursery-to-be we need to recess the existing sockets into the wall (to
save headbumps at the later crawling stage!)

There are good reasons for doing this, but head bumping isn't something
to worry about - houses are full of endless things to bump heads on -
and they only really get good at it once they can walk and climb :-)

and I have been told by a
helpful handyman that this is something we can do

It isn't a difficult job, others have outlined the job already, but
then if you've done nothing much in the way of DIY it maybe more than
you feel happy doing.

For cutting the holes for the back boxes (esp in hard brick - we've got
some of those) and SDS drill is extremely handy.

This drill much more effectively than standard hammer drills, and also
most have a chiselling action as well - I can cut a box hole out in our
old hard bricks in 5- 10 minutes, with a standard drill and using a
hammer and bolster etc. it could easily take 1/2 hours, and make a lot
more mess of the wall.

I wouldn't in general recommend them, but you kight want to consider one
of the el cheapo SDS drills if you don't want to spend much - there is
a current thread on this. If you are wondering about SDS, do a Google
Groups search on uk.d--i-y

--
Chris French, Leeds