jerrybuilt

Default Recessing elecric socket - please help!

Rebecca wrote:
Due to a forthcoming baby arrival, whilst decorarting the
nursery-to-be we need to recess the existing sockets into
the wall (to save headbumps at the later crawling stage!)

I wouldn't bother, if I were you. There are plenty of things
for wrigglers (I've a recent one) to bump themselves on. I
have taken the liberty of cross-posting this to uk.p.p, who
are generally helpful. Bumps *will* happen - as long as they
aren't *too* hard, they're part of natural learning.

and I have been told by a helpful handyman that this is
something we can do, as opposed to having to get an expensive
electrician in. (He could do it but is trying to save us money).

Good Lord!

Not knowing much (understatement!) about this, can you please
give me your opinion as to whether this is correct and something
Joe Bloggs can do?

As long as Joe is reasonably practical, yes, no problem.

As I understand it, all we have to do is turn off the electicity
supply, and chisel out a hole in the wall for the box to fit
into, slot it in and hey presto. Is it really as easy as that?

Very nearly. You can do this with a narrow-bladed (cold, not
woodworking!) chisel, or a masonry drill/chisel. However, see
my first sentence!

Mind you, our walls appear to be made of 1930s steel lined
bricks so chiselling out a hole (or three) may be quite a task.

What is a steel-lined brick? Do you mean that there is metal
between brick courses? I don't understand.

Can anyone give me any tips as to how to make this go smoothly
and any tools which may be helpful?

Budget seems important, should you do this. You haven't, I
imagine, many to do, so low-tech methods will do:

1 ) Electric hammer drill[1], if you've got one
2 ) 6mm masonry bit.
3 ) 1/2" cold chisel.
4 ) hammer (claw will do).
5 ) screwdriver

Switch off the power (possibly ring circuit, check power is
off with bedside lamp, check bedside lamp works afterwards in
downstairs socket to make sure you have not tested with a dead
lamp). Unscrew the socket face plate, note carefully where the
wires go. Undo the wires. Get the metal box that goes in the
wall and pencil out around it where it goes on the wall. Drill
a lot of holes on this line being careful not to drill through
the wire (drill on extension lead from downstairs). Drill a
lot more holes in the block of stuff you are going to extract.
A bit of tape around the drill to act as a depth guide is good.
Use hammer and chisel to finish off the flat-bottomed hole.
If you have not got a drill, chisel off any plaster and then
chisel brick out to required depth/shape. You can sharpen a cold
chisel by rubbing it on (for instance) a concrete kerbstone.
When the hole is made, put the box in, and mark/drill a hole for
a retaining screw. Screw in the box, packing behind if needed
to ensure a flush fit. Put the wires through a push-out bit
in the metal box (which should have a "rubber" grommet to
protect against sharp edges). Fill gaps around the box with
pollyfilla or similar. When set, put the wires back into the
appropriate (noted) holes in the face plate (maybe a new one).
There will probably be an earth wire to run to the metal box,
too. Bend wires so they won't be pinched up anywhere by the
face plate or its retaining screws Screw on the face plate.
Done.

[1] Someone will soon tell you all about a thing called an SDS
drill, I'm sure. If you can't get one, they are not vital!

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com