Mark Wilson

Default Grounding Rod Info

I recently had an electrician verify that I need a new grounding rod but
before he does the work I wanted to get clear regarding the manner in which
telephone, cable, roof mounted TV antenna, and water pipes should be
grounded to the main service ground.

The rod will be planted a few feet from the house just opposite the inside
service panel. Must the TV Antenna ground go all the way to the top of the
rod or is it okay to split-bolt to the grounding wire at or just below
ground level?

The main water pipe enters the house about 25 yards away from the grounding
rod. Is it acceptable to ground the cold water pipe to the service ground
from inside the house? In this case I would split-bolt to the service
ground wire just before it goes through the basement wall.

My house is cabled for cable TV (although I don't currently subscribe).
Where is the best (practical) place to ground the TV Cable? Split-Bolt
again to service wire as it leaves basement?

Finally, what about Telephone system ground? Split-bolt as it leaves
basement? Is this something the phone company must do (for demarcation
reasons) and if so, are they gonna charge me for it?

Yes, the electrician answered these questions for me already, but my
newsgroup search shows that answers vary and that sometimes the "pros" don't
always do things 100% right, so that's why I've come back here to trusty old
alt.home.repair.

Thanks for your thoughts.