ash_bayarea

Default Where to buy unfinished wood flooring - please help!

thanks, Ed

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message digy.com...
"ash_bayarea" wrote in message

5/16 thick unfinished flooring is hard to find. HomeDepot does not
carry 5/16 thick strips.
We located 2 lumber mills in the bay area that will sell 5/16 strips :
Southern Lumber @ $4.50/sq ft! And Minton's lumber @ $.87/linear foot!

Not bad prices, really.

The prices are way over the top as we found an online source of
prefinished Bruce Hardwood (natural reflections) for $3.1 / sq ft.
1. Why is unfinished wood more expensive than prefinished wood?

The pre-finished stuff is mas produced. It has a place in life, but it does
not compar to a real floor, IMO. Bruce floors have a beveled edge that is a
dust and dirt collector, but they are made that way to hide a lot of
otherwise errors in installation. Some of the Bruce (and similar) floors is
a veneer, not solid wood. Sort of like the way plywood is made. That is not
a bad thing, but it is not real hardwood solid floors.

2. Do any of you pros on this board know where we can buy Unfinished
Red Oak Solid Wood flooring for reasonable prices? We prefer Select
grade, if at all there is a choice.
My husband swears that there should be reasonably priced unfinished
red oak flooring somewhere out there.

You already found them. You just have to realize that oak is not cheap from
any source. There is more to this than meets the eye. Check out some other
hardoowd dealers in the area. Do not compare Home Dept quality with real
life flooring, They are not the same.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome