IMM

Default Boiler probs

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:27:51 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

That was in the 1980s.

From what I have seen, it's still true today.

If there are two well appointed identical houses in the same road, and

one
has heating bills of 500-600 a year and one only £50-100, guess which

one
would attract most attention, sell very quickly and command a higher

price.

The other was that most purchasers are brain dead as well.

You and I might think that energy saving is important, but most
purchasers don't.

Most purchasers are not that stupid. In Nottinghamshire, a developer

built
low energy homes. He commands a higher price for them and they do go for
more than the colder ones around, and certainly sell quicker.

Any decent estate agent will tell you that a house with low energy bills

and
eco credentials commands more and sell very quick. Public awareness is

much
greater now, after decades of headlines of environmental concerns, high

and
volatile fuel prices, etc.

They sell to some people who have that as a concern on their agenda
for either economic or idealistic reasons.

There are millions of these people now, and I would say they are in the
majority.

It is a long way down the list compared with factors like location,
size, room layouts etc. for most people..

A house has to suit the purpose: size, etc. Location is important: schools,
shops, etc. Its no good have a family and living in a 100% eco house in the
middle of nowhere. When all prime points are equal the eco house commands
more attention and sells quicker and for more.

If energy saving, right or wrong
were a big issue for most people,
then older properites wouldn't sell,
and they do.......

Because we don't build enough new houses in the UK. In 2000, we built twice
as many homes as Southern Ireland (pop approx 3.3 million, while the UK is
approx 60 million) Totally pathetic, and no wonder two jags castigated the
building industry and took control and forced them into the 20th century
(having them in the 21st century is too much to ask).

In areas where they are plentiful,new home the newer homes are more in
demand because of the low fuels bills and more comfortable environment
inside. I was reading that Milton Keynes is a prime example. MK has older
house in it, surprise,surprise: Bletchley, Wolverton, etc. The newer homes
in good locations are generally preferred to the 1920-30s homes in good
locations.

---