donald girod

Default Need help with water pump

Wells aren't that cooperative. You may or may not be able to get enough
water to water your lawn, but you should definitely drive a separate well
for the purpose. If it comes in with enough water, great. The main thing
is to have enough water for your house and not screw up the well you have.

The pump size is mostly dictated by the well depth. A .5hp pump is more
than enough to water your lawn; it can deliver 12 gpm from a shallow well,
if the well has 12 gpm available.

Most people with wells don't water their lawns.

"Jeff Guay" wrote in message
. net...
Hi,
This wonderful new money trap we bought has a problem with the water well.
I'm not real sure of the terminology but here goes, I have a driven well
point that is supposedly only 21 feet deep. The pump is in a closet in

the
basement. It has two plastic, 1 inch I think, pipes coming out of it,

going
into the floor. There is an expansion tank that I cannot see. (It is
behind the closet wall)
We have more than enough water for household tasks, laundry, dishwasher,
showers, etc. However when I try to run the lawn sprinkler system I have
problems. I can run one zone for about 5 minutes, after that the pump
starts "chugging". The sprinkler output drops way down and I can hear the
pump sucking water from the upstairs toilet and hose spigots. I can't

stand
the noise from the pump so I shut the system off. Needless to say my lawn
has almost completely burnt up.
The interesting thing is that the system must have worked for the previous
owner, because last fall when we looked at the house the lawn was

gorgeous.
Any suggestions? I've thought of driving another point with a separate

pump
for just the sprinklers but I'm not sure what size pump and how far from

the
existing point should I be.
Thanks,
Jeff