who

Default Waterproofing a brick foundation

Trent© wrote in
news
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:17:49 -0000, who wrote:

Trent© wrote in
m:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:04:27 -0000, who wrote:

The point was that you have to put on a true waterproof barrier that
does not degrade over time and remians elastic enough to span any
cracks that exist or may develop over time.

ThoroSeal.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Help keep down the world population...have your partner spayed or
neutered.

Once again Thoroseal is not appropriate as it does not retain any
elastomeric properties. It is also not appropriate under constant
hydrostatic head as the primary waterproof barrier. I have never seen
it spec'd for subgrade exterior waterproofing by professionals.

That may be. But there's sure a lot of rework being done out
there...original work done by the 'professionals'.

Even the makers of Thoroseal do not claim that is elastomeric.

If you're going to do it, do it right.

Never had any problems with it.

Have a nice 4th weekend...

Trent

Help keep down the world population...have your partner spayed or
neutered.

Not having had a problem with it does not mean it is acceptable use of the
product. Yours is one instance. I have, however, had to re-do work where
Thoro-seal has been used on exterior below grade. Thoro-seal is a very
good product when used on the correct application.
Coating an exterior, sub-grade foundation is not a proper use and the
advice to use in lieu of a product designed specifically for the purpose is
irresponsible. I would suggest that the original poster check with an
architect or building engineer rather than be confused by the
misinformation offered on this group. Also check with the AIA for
acceptable foundation waterproofing methods. You will not find Thoro-seal
as one of them.