Ramblinon

Default Lack of building permit

clipped

Repairs normally don't require permits. Neither do small projects.
For example, locally a concrete walk under 100 square feet doesn't
need a permit, but a larger walk or driveway does. Fences less than
50' long don't require a permit, and sheds under 100 square feet don't
either. Less than 1 sqaure of roofing doesn't require a permit, and
there's a provision for emergency work on roofs to repair storm damage
that allows permitting after the fact.

Of course here, a lemonade stand needs a permit...

In our city, you can do tile, kitchen cabinets, soffits and fascia without
a permit. Any electrical or plumbing or structural or reroof needs a
permit. Electrical or plumbing work requires a license unless it is done
by a home owner for his own use. If done for a home that will be rented
in less than a year, it has to have licensed work. Theory probably is,
you can place yourself at risk, but not another family. Very loosely
enforced. Reroof inspections are probably eyeballed from the ground; city
inspections almost worthless, but they have the authority to make life
miserable. Being reported for work done without a permit can bring a
penalty of twice the original permit fee, unless the city escalates by
requiring the homeowner to remove the changes, then it can get scary.
Their focus is mainly on cosmetic issues where I live.