donald girod

Default Lack of building permit

It will vary a lot depending on local laws and local enforcement. For
instance, the guy in Chicago who built a porch that played a role in the
death of 12 people and didn't get a permit is looking at $250/day fine
retroactive to 1998. But most likely your fate would be less unpleasant.
They want the fee, they want any extra taxes due to assessment, and they
want your respect.

You are probably exposing yourself to liability claims to some extent. You
should consider just going in and saying you are sorry, you didn't know
there was a permit requirement, and what should you do. But ask around first
before you do that--they can make you tear down any construction built
without a permit if they feel like it. If your local building department
has a reputation for being vindictive, then it isn't so clear. You could
spend $50 and talk to a lawyer.

"Jack Symon" wrote in message
m...
I have built a deck on my house without getting a building permit.
Does anyone know what kind of penalties I can face?