B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Default Too many devices on telephone line

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:18:42 -0500, "Morgan"
wrote:

My next move is to ask the phone company if there is anything they can do,
like they did for TURTLE, if I have used up all my REN ! ! !

Turtle may have been on a marginal line. When he complained, they
probably either fixed a cable problem or shifted him to a new cable
pair.

On a normal dial line, there usually isn't any such device that allows
your "power" to be turned up. Sometimes, if you're on the edge of the
range of your local switch, the telco will install a range extender,
which is another possibility in Turtle's case.

Usually REN only comes into play with ringing voltage. Too many REN,
and the phones don't ring. But it can affect caller id as well. You
have so many devices, you're probably pulling the level of the caller
id burst way down.

Since your other caller id devices continued to work, there is still
the possibility that this problem is related to the software, or the
modem's ability to read the CID data unless it's at a high level. The
stand alone CID displays may be more tolerant of different data
levels, unlike the modem.

Let us know what the phone company says.

Barry