JTM

Default Strange Electrical Question - a bit long

"Larry Fox" wrote in message
om...
John, I appreciate the speedy response. When I measured, the only
load on the circuit were 6 recessed lighting fixtures. I was
measuring from the "hot" of the circuit to the neutral of the same

"hot" with the switch controlling it off? Otherwise you should have gotten
120v. If you are actually measuring across the load with the switch off then I
don't understand it either. The load should short the inputs to the meter with
some resistive load. However if you were measuring from the open switch side to
some convienient neutral then I would suspect that you are getting voltages due
to noise and or line load induced voltages caused by long runs and powered
equipment on line.

circuit and I was reading 30 volts at that point. However, I did not
try to measure with no load whatsoever on the circuit - I will try
that tonight (as well as looking at the switch). I have just never
seen voltage that high between the neutral and the voltage side of an
"open" circuit.

Neither have I. Try putting a resistive load across the 30 v. My guess is it
is going to drop to virturally nothing.

Regards,

John