mfcexpert

Default Bath tap seemingly welded to iron bath

BigWallop wrote:

"mfcexpert" wrote in message

I have a cast iron bath which I wish to retain. It has two taps which I
wish to replace. I've managed to remove the nut holding the hot water
tap because it is on the side away from the wall. The other tap is
almost completely inaccessible from underneath and I ( and a plumber I
hired ) have failed to undo the nut attaching the tap to the bath.

Any ideas?

The tap seems to be keyed to the bath so that I can't unscrew it from
the top and, although I don't have a blowlamp, I've applied a hot air
gun to it. I've also tried penetrating oil.

Thanks in advance

Another Dave

Old taps are often stuck down and sealed with jointing compound, so may need
to take a old wood chisel around the base of the tap to loosen it slightly.
Keep the chisel flat on the bath roll (edge) when you do this so as not to
dig in to the enamel of the bath.

I'm sorry, I may have misled you. I can rotate the tap slightly ( maybe
15 degrees ) but come up against a stop. It's the nut that's seemingly
welded to the bath. However I'll try your remedy on the nut - or as much
of it as I can get to :-(

Thanks

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address