R.J. Hemme

Default Color fog over picture changes when monitor is rotated

Andy Cuffe wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:57:53 -0400, "R.J. Hemme"
wrote:

My Radius Intellicolor 20e has recently developed a problem where the
entire screen is "fogged over" with a layer of green. This was
occasional at first, but now it is seldom that it displays a proper
picture without the green covering it. Upon rotating the monitor to its
side, this fog becomes blue, and upside-down, the very top of the screen
starts to become red.

I've read this group's excellent monitor repair FAQ and I know what to
look for when checking inside, but is the fact that the color varies
when I rotate the displace indicative of anything? I'm afraid it's the
CRT but I thought I'd get an opinion here before figuring out how to
check inside.

Thanks!

It sounds like a problem with the degaussing circuit. The fact that
this monitor can be rotated means it has to have a more complicated
degaussing circuit than the usual thermistor circuit. It must be able
to degauss itself every time it's rotated between landscape and
portrait.
Andy Cuffe

Well, it's not exactly meant to be rotated. I don't know a lot about
monitor repair so I thought I'd try simple things like thwacking the
side and moving it around before having a look inside. Figure out as
many symptoms as possible.

This monitor is fairly old the controls are just a series of lights that
let you know what you're controlling and buttons. There doesn't appear
to be a degauss option. Could it just be that the screen isn't
degaussing automatically like it should, or would it be more serious
than that?

Thanks!

R.J.