Christian McArdle

Default overlapping ring and radial 13A circuits

What I should like is to put sockets for electronics (computers,
TVs, clock radios etc) on separate circuit(s) to those used for
kit which is likely to trip RCDs.

You can. However, if your current installation is prone to tripping, then
something is wrong. You may find you have an appliance with a latent earth
fault, or a neutral/earth short somewhere. This should be fixed, rather than
bodged around, trying to find excuses not to have RCDs on sockets. Quite
frankly, all your socket circuits should have RCD protection, whether
required by regs or not. This is PARTICULARLY the case for anything that is
likely to see power tools. The only exceptions are special circuits for
systems that you don't want to fail when you are out, such as a dedicated
fridge/freezer circuit, or your central heating. You should install a
separate dedicated outside socket on its own 16A RCBO (or 16A MCB with RCD
built into socket). Your leaky hedge trimmers then get the benefit of RCD
protection without causing your computer to shut down when you cut the
cable, or get it wet. If you have a workshop in the attached garage, this
should have its own RCD protection from the rest of the house.

If you simply have too much equipment connected, then rather than installing
lots of cable into complex arrangements, which is expensive in terms of
time, I'd upgrade the consumer unit to something more tolerant. The best
solution here is to use a simple isolated consumer unit (not RCD or split
load) and use B32/0.03A RCBOs for socket circuits. This way, leakage on one
circuit won't make another circuit oversensitive to any increase in leakage
current.

Christian.

"the yorkshire dalesman" wrote in message
om...
Is it permissible to have 13A sockets on 2 different ring, (or a ring
and a radial) circuits serving the same area of the house? What
prompts this post is that IIRC it is standard advice that all
downstairs 13A sockets should be on an RCD circuit.

What I should like is to put sockets for electronics (computers, TVs,
clock radios etc) on separate circuit(s) to those used for kit which
is likely to trip RCDs. There would be 1 or 2 double 13A sockets on
this ring or radial in most rooms. I get a fair amount of tripping
from portable outdoor kit like hedgecutters - portable workshop tools
(sanders, planers etc) are another bane. So the 'electronic' sockets
would be run through a normal switch & cartridge fuse or MCB &
definitely nowhere near an RCD. The sockets would be suitably marked
& possibly be coloured (I've seen coloured 13A sockets - presumably
they are easily obtainable?). So is it possible to install this
scheme within the regs?

TIA