DS

Default Capacitor on last legs in Trinitron screen

"Mark A" wrote in message
"DS" wrote in message news:5sFMc.1206528
Its a rebranded trinitron, the exact model is Dell D2026T. HP also had a
rebrand of the identical monitor, and I've noticed a few other people

have
been posting to this newsgroup with problems, though I cannot verify if

they
are the exact same innards, but most refer to the 20" HP (using

trinitron
tubes). Unfortunately I haven't read anyone else having the same problem

as
me, others seem to have issues with focus failing or sync errors. I

guess
this model is giving up its ghost right about now. All the same, if I

can
fix it for a few bucks to have it last another year or two, that would

be
fantastic.

Thanks,
Dan

Not all monitors with Trinitron tubes are made by Sony. Sony sold the
Trinitron tubes separately (or at least they did until recently) to many
other monitor manufacturers. I still have a 15 inch Nokia (manufactured by
Nokia) that has a Trinitron tube made by Sony.

Of course, Sony could have made the entire monitor (I don't know), but I
know that they sold the tube by itself also. The Trinitron patent has
expired, so there are other manufacturers who now make shadow mask tubes.

I had a Sony 20 inch professional monitor that had similar symptoms as
yours, and it recently went blank. If you live near San Diego (where the
Sony repair facility is) they will repair if for a fixed fee of about $400
(they will probably fix the lack of brightness and contrast also).

However,
I recently bought a new high end 19 inch monitor for about $325 that is
extremely sharp and bright. You can get mainstream 19 inch monitors for
about $250.

at one point I had the specs, and I think this tube was made by Sony. There
are many places that will fix it for far less than that amount, but anything
more than $50 really isn't worth it. At this point I'm eyeing a 20" LCD
panel, but they're just too dang expensive for me right now. Thats why if I
can coax this screen to work for another year or two I could probably afford
the 20" LCD. If its just a simple capacitor fix though, I should be able to
do it myself, and thats why I'd like to get any input about fixing it

-Dan