DS

Default Capacitor on last legs in Trinitron screen

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
A common symptom of Sony tv's as they get older is the PICTURE TUBE

cathode
emissions are lower, and the picture is blanked by the microprocessor

until
the picture is considered watchable. If the picture is still somewhat
pastel-looking after it comes on, this is your problem, a bad picture

tube.

Mark Z.

Hi Mark,
I suppose that is a possibility, is there any way I can find out if that is
the problem? From what I read in the FAQs and the answers I got over in
sci.electoronics.misc, it was suggested that it is probably a bad capacitor,
but that could be wrong.

IIRC it was made in 1997. I bought it second hand in '99. While I use it, it
generally gets about 8 hours of use during the day; I shut it off at night
and when I'm not at my desk for more than about 20 minutes I set it to go
into powersaving (CRT off).

Right now, once it actually finishes warming up, the picture is crisp and
vibrant. The CRT has definately had some wear as the brightness and contrast
are set up at 100% and its still not as bright as a new screen, but it is
more than ample to do programming and graphic editing as the colors still
appear pretty accurate and not washed out.

-Dan