Sam Goldwasser

Default Capacitor on last legs in Trinitron screen

"DS" writes:

Got a 20" trinitron screen that takes ages to turn on. Everything I read
seems to point to a dying capacitor, probably one of the filter capacitors
being dried up, or some other capacitor in the power supply. If open it up,
how easy will it be to find this capacitor? What should I look for? How
should I go about testing it?

If someone happens to know which capacitor(s) tend to fail in that set,
then replacing them all should fix it. Otherwise, someone will have to
test each capacitor. This is generally done with an ESR meter. It's
quick and painless but you need the proper equipment.

More in the FAQs.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.