Eric Gisin

Default Are PC surge protectors needed in the UK?

I have operated computers much further from 120V with absolutely no problems.

Once at the end of 100ft extension cord along with 1500W heater, lights
dimming.

The other time at 130V, light bulbs popping every month.

Even on a generator nearly out of gas I had a minute to shutdown my system, no
corruption occured.

"someone" wrote in message

A brownout is generally recognized as planned voltage cuts - or
undervoltage.
My utility in the US routinely implements 3% and 5% voltage cuts to shave or
reduce peaks (and thereby save $' when buying power).

There is also the issue of spikes and harmonics.

Given a current laptop/desktop will be ~ $800USD to ~$4000 for a high
performance system and a UPS sells for $40 - why subject a computer
to unexpected power events? What is the value of the data on the hdd(s)?