Gregory L. Hansen

Default Are PC surge protectors needed in the UK?

In article ,
Keith wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 02:16:23 +0000, Gregory L. Hansen wrote:

In article , w_tom wrote:
Again an assumption that something will stop or block a
destructive transient. Kilometers of air could not stop the
transient. Do you think that silly little RCD switch contact
will do what kilometers of sky could not? Again, protection
is about shunting (diverting, connecting, shorting) a
transient to earth ground. There is no way around that
fundamental fact. Nothing is effective at stopping such
transients.

My surge protector came with a guarantee that the company will pay to
repair or replace any equipment damaged through the powerlines when it was
plugged in to their product.

Have you collected on that promise? Somehow I think you'd buy an extended
warranty on that strip too. ;-)

Haven't had anything break that was plugged into it, although the power
has flickered or quit many times during storms. But then, the TV and VCR
are still working, and they're not on a surge protector.

--
"Let us learn to dream, gentlemen, then perhaps we shall find the
truth... But let us beware of publishing our dreams before they have been