Anthony

Default Are PC surge protectors needed in the UK?

"J.J." wrote in :

Does anyone have a reference to HDDs getting corrupted by power
events on the mains power supply?

References, no, practical, hands on experience, yes. I've seen this
several times, not only the HDD, but I've had transient power problems
take out motherboards too.
Examples:
Case 1: Home computer (this one) tree fell across a main line (11kva I
think), caused a surge prior to the stepdown transformer kicking out,
corrupted an almost new 40 gig hdd. Fortunately, an LLF fixed it.
Case 2: Engraving lasers at work, fed from the bus, kept killing HDD's
and motherboards. Ultimately traced to transient voltage spikes,
installed an AVR UPS. Failures were occuring once to twice a week, after
the AVR UPS was installed on each machine, we have had Zero failures, in
over a year.

--
Anthony

better idiots.