St Dom

Default Are PC surge protectors needed in the UK?

Is the cumulative effect of transient voltages leading to premature
equipment failure not an issue then?
something as simple as a desk fan switched on & off and supplied via the
same socket as a PC can create a transient over voltage of 1kV
Sure it will not knock the PC out but it will reduce the life of the kit.

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Lem writes:
Are surge protectors on the main power supply actually needed in
the UK?

No, at least not to protect PCs.

here in the UK we have few overhead mains power lines and have a
relatively steady mains power supply when compared to many other
countries (including the US).

However there seem to be very many surge protector products
advertised for sale in the UK (Argos, Maplins, etc).

Lots of people run a particular OS which is known for its
instability, and you can sell them just about anything if
you suggest it might make their systems more stable. Of
course it doesn't, but that just means they'll try something
else (except changing the OS;-). Surge protectors are one of
the many items on the list that such people will try.

The other issue is that the multi-way trailing socket blocks
got down to the point where they're only a couple of pounds
each, or even less. By adding a extra few pence worth of
components, you can call them surge protected and sell them
for 3 times the price. Brings in more profit.

I am quite sure it is not bad practice to use a surge protector but
in fact I have never known anyone who has has a problem from a
surge coming in through the power supply.

True. Even if you have millions of pounds worth of equipment
on your supply, it isn't worth it, the occurance is so rare,
so it certainly isn't for a few home PC's.

What I have seen several times is damage caused by a surge
induced by lightning on a phone line. Of course, the mains
surge protector will do nothing to protect against that.

So personally I don't bother using a surge protector on my PC.

Am I being too complacent?

Not in my opinion.
If I saw something at less than rip-off prices for protecting
against surge on phone line, I might consider that.

--
Andrew Gabriel