Mark D. Zacharias

Default Awai NSX-3500: CD player doesn't recognize CD

A new pickup has a solder short, that is 2 adjacent solder pads, shorted
together with solder, which must be cleared (unsoldered) before the new
pickup will work.

Mark Z.

wrote in message
Hi,
Picked up an Awai NSX-3500 at a yard sale for $5.00 because the lady
said CD player doesn't work. So I though, not bad if I can fix it.

After taking it apart and checking on the internet, it seems Awai had
quite a few lawsuits due to their CD player's being faulty and not
working even after being repaired several times.

But I went ahead and got a new laser pickup for it, but that didn't
solve the problem.
Here's what it does:
-Load a CD.
-CD tray spins around to spindle/pickup.
-Laser pickup will move horizontally and laser "eye" moves vertically
trying to adjust or obtain data. During this time, the CD does not
spin even though I've checked the spindle motor and it will run with
voltage applied.
-CD tray will rotate to location 2, repeat above, then go to location
3, repeat and then standby.

Any ideas or should I just throw it in the trash.

Thanks for any help.