Asimov

Default tv repair question

"Sam Goldwasser" bravely wrote to "All" (03 Jul 04 20:07:48)
--- on the heady topic of " tv repair question"

I just hate finding a 10 amp slow blow with a 2.5A fast blow label.
This leaves a lot of charred marks on the PCB...

SG From: Sam Goldwasser

SG Yes, this is a simple problem but it is irresponsible to suggest
SG opening the back of a TV to someone who may not have any clue about the
SG dangers involved.
SG In fact, he didn't ask *how* to repair it, just whether it was worth
SG it.
SG I'd say that it is worth getting an estimate. Could be as simple as a
SG bad solder joint.

SG writes:

Hi,
This is a simple TV problem, open it yourself. sometimes it is just a fuse or

a resistor-fuse. in the worst case it is the Vertical IC (in older models
SG vertical output transistors) that needs to be replaced. If you have a
SG supply voltage around 26 volts (can be a bit more or less in
SG different TVs) on vertical IC, it means most probably IC is burned.
SG otherwise look for fuse. The price of such an IC is around 5 to 10 US
SG dollars. A repair shop might ask for 50 bucks just to look at it and
SG tell you how much it costs to repair your TV (it can cost you around
SG 100 USD). I would have a look at it myself first ! Good luck.

RB wrote:

We've got a big (approx 27" diagonal) Panasonic table model TV that's only

couple of years old. Something's failed inside.

I now have a thin, horizontal, intensely bright line mid screen all the way
across the screen. Probably something in the vertical is out.

The question being: even if I can find someplace to get the set repaired
here locally, will it likely be worth it to do so? Theory being maybe I

can
get another one for the potential repair price plus a little more.

.... No electrons were harmed in the posting of this message.