Sam Goldwasser

Default tv repair question

Yes, this is a simple problem but it is irresponsible to suggest opening the
back of a TV to someone who may not have any clue about the dangers involved.

In fact, he didn't ask *how* to repair it, just whether it was worth it.

I'd say that it is worth getting an estimate. Could be as simple as a
bad solder joint.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

writes:

Hi,
This is a simple TV problem, open it yourself. sometimes it is just a fuse or a
resistor-fuse. in the worst case it is the Vertical IC (in older models vertical
output transistors) that needs to be replaced. If you have a supply voltage
around 26 volts (can be a bit more or less in different TVs) on vertical IC, it
means most probably IC is burned. otherwise look for fuse.
The price of such an IC is around 5 to 10 US dollars. A repair shop might ask
for 50 bucks just to look at it and tell you how much it costs to repair your TV
(it can cost you around 100 USD). I would have a look at it myself first !
Good luck.

RB wrote:

We've got a big (approx 27" diagonal) Panasonic table model TV that's only a
couple of years old. Something's failed inside.

I now have a thin, horizontal, intensely bright line mid screen all the way
across the screen. Probably something in the vertical is out.

The question being: even if I can find someplace to get the set repaired
here locally, will it likely be worth it to do so? Theory being maybe I can
get another one for the potential repair price plus a little more.