Jim Yanik

Default TDS 420 Oscilloscope

(Too_Many_Tools) wrote in
om:

Thanks for the information.

That is what I have been to find out also.

So are we saying that TDS series scopes are throw away scopes?

No,just the *OLDER* TDS models that are no longer under Long Term Support
Period(LTPS). TEK(
www.tek.com) has a list of what models are still
supported.Originally,theperiod was 9 years after the last catalog
sales,then dropped to 6 years,and it may be variable now,depending on
model.

If so, Tektronix should be ashamed of themselves.

It would seem that the only way to fix this series of scope is to find
a parts machine. It would also seem likely that the parts machine
would have the same problem of a scope needing fixing since power
supplies (especially HV) have a higher likelihood of failing.

The TDS supplies are purchased components;the manufacturers MAY have
schematics,probably not.The power supplies are switchers,probably much
easier to repair than the scope circuitry.The usual stuff;shorted
diodes,bad caps(ESR),etc.

Another question...in the last 10 to 15 years, what digital scope
(manufacturer and model) do you recommend for repairability?

I don't have an answer for this one.
IMO,if you want repairability,buy a new scope and you'll have the warranty
and the support period.

One more note;this scope was intended to be repaired by module
exchange,but once past the LTPS period,Tek disposes of the exchange
modules and parts not common to other in-production scopes.Also,Tek
did not put component level schematics or parts lists in the "service
manual" sold with the TDS scopes(ALL models of the TDS
scopes,AFAIK).IIRC,there was a complete manual supplied to the
military,but I have no idea how to obtain one,or any part number for
such a manual.It probably would be a T.O.(tech order) number.

It's also calibrated by software that may not be available
anymore(from Tek).

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net