Rich.Andrews

Default transistor substitutes

Tom MacIntyre wrote in
news
On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 03:30:03 -0000, "Rich.Andrews"
wrote:

For years I have struggled with the task of selecting transistor
substitutes with varying degrees of success. NTE/ECG is sometimes right
but many times they fail to perform anything like the original. What is
a good way to figure out which transistor *will* work without
re-engineering the circuit?

If you use an actual NTE/ECG match, it should work. People make the
mistake of thinking that all transistors with the same NTE/ECG match
are the same, and they aren't.

Tom

I have tried the NTE/ECG approach and have had the least amount of success
with that. Small signal IF or RF transistors is what usually gives me
fits. Either it works marginally or doesn't work at all. Base current
requirements threw things off the last time. I will just keep plugging at
things until I get them figured out. The sheer number of choices make it
even tougher.

Thanks all!