Andy Cuffe

Default 20 inch TV Recommendation

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:39:31 -0500, Don Allen
wrote:

I noted an earlier post - June 17 I believe - discussing suggestions of
Samsung and Toshiba 20 inch TV's. I'm replacing a much loved Sony KV-
20XBR (circa 1986 - $750) that finally decided to die (RIP). Frankly,
I'm not overly impressed with my options. The silver color (obviously
only an aesthetic consideration) is certainly not a preference!

Like the earlier poster, I have a maximum dimension in the vertical
plane of 18.5 inches. My choices are self-limited to Sony, Panasonic,
Toshiba, and Samsung - in order of decreasing preference. Actually, I
would have gone with the Panasonic Tau 20 inch, but it's 18.8 inches
high - darn!! This limits me to the Sony Wega KV-20FS100, KV-20FS120,
or the KV-20FV300, the Toshiba FST Pure 20AF44, and the Samsung DynaFlat
TX-P2030. All range in price from the big-box stores from $158 on the
low-end (Samsung at Sams Club) to approx. $300 for the Sony KV-20FV300.

Since I've used Sony aperature-grille CRT-based TV's for over 20 years,
one tends to get used to them. Thus, I'm not sure I would like a
shadow-mask type CRT television. Obviously, 20 inch televisions today
are designed as essentially consumables, but reliability and build-
quality (if there is such a thing at this price point) are still
important to me.

Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated from the technician
point-of-view.

Tnx,
Don W9CW

I would probably go for one of the Sonys. Picture quality is very
similar on all TVs now, but Sony still seems to have a slight edge in
focus. When you're looking at the sets in the store, make sure you
turn down the picture to a normal level. Even the best TV will bloom
and defocus at the factory default level. Definitely avoid Samsung.
They may be getting better, but I still haven't seen anything from
them that's impressed me.

Do you happen to still have the 20XBR? If you do, e-mail me because I
am looking for a set of speakers for my 20XBR. They were removed
sometime before I bought the set.
Andy Cuffe