gothika

Default P2P sharing of service manual PDF's

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 04:49:51 -0500, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

For quite a while Harman Kardon made all their service manuals available for
download by the general public. They eventually stopped, but I'm not sure if
it was the fault of the bean-counters, or the lawyers. They might have been
afraid of making lots of Darwin-Award candidates.

Mark Z.

It's not the "value loss" of sales but of service.
The manufacturer would go after you over loss of repair work.
Which is hypocritical as they'd look the consumer whose trying to get
a repair manual for their own use in the eye and tell you they no
longer have them.
Yet if it's a profitable repair job for them, all of a sudden the
repair manual can be "found" for their needs.
Truth is most of the electronics companies never discard documentation
on any of their products.(I used to use alot of Panasonic
industrial/broadcast gear and developed good "one to one" repore with
one of their service techs. He could always get me service manuals for
anything they'd made, even stuff dating back to the 60's. The had an
archive section in the back of the warehouse where they stored all
manuals.)