LASERandDVDfan

Default I dropped the tv ( Sony circa December 1985)

|Reading your post establishes the idea that Sony TV sets are not durable.

???
How you can draw that assumption from a story of damage to a Sony TV
during transport, I can't imagine.

What you typed, verbatim.

"Sony shadowmask tubes are particularly susceptible to damage after being
dropped."

You typed this. Read it, and read it again. Your wording here most certainly
suggests what I claim about your contention.

It is an accusation that clearly narrows down to the subject. You clearly
typed that Sony picture tubes are "particularly susceptible to damage after
being dropped." You don't cite what kind of drop and you don't cite to what
degree, you just cite "a drop" which is a generalization. You make a clear
accusation with a broad and general description that allows the impression that
"Sony TVs are not durable" to be made in the first place.

If this was not the intended response to your statement, then you either need
to brush up on your writing skills or you could give Micheal Moore a run for
his money.

The story is more to do with the
reliability of the transport company and the care which they provide
to the goods they are transporting.

If you recognize the story to be off-topic and unrelated to begin with, then
why did you bother to bring it up in the first place?

I am not trying give any impression other than physical shock (ie
dropping or rough handling) to a tv can cause internal damage to the
picture tube which requires this item to be replaced at great expense.

Now you made it more logical, but contradictory to your original claim. Now
you state that any TV will sustain internal damage in the picture tube from a
severe shock, which was the statement I originally made in response to your
statement a day ago.

My response, as quoted:

"The Epinions article you've presented doesn't support your claim against Sony
TV sets. All the article does is suggest that a TV set can be severely damaged
by careless movers. Any other brand of TV would have yielded similar problems
had they been mishandled in the same fashion. If there was a drop substantial
enough to damage the mainboard and crack the casing, it's likely that the tube
will have been damaged as well."

Originally, you stated clearly and specifically that Sony picture tubes were
"particularly susceptible," now you say that all TVs will sustain damage in a
generalization.

If you were to hold on to your argument, you would have to say that "all TVs
would be vulnerable, but Sony TVs are more susceptible than anything else."

Since you are not wording your recent responses like this, you're not even
supporting your original contention anymore. Yet, you still want to get into a
****ing contest about this.

Unless it is established specifically what sort of "rough handling"
the particular Sony TV was subjected to, we can't draw that
conclusion, and I did not infer what you assume I did.

Then why did you make the accusation about Sony TV sets being "particularly
susceptible" to drop damage to begin with?

BTW, I am a strong supporter of Sony products and my household boasts
these items;

And what relevance does this statement have to this subject?

Being a Sony supporter or not is irrelevant.
Getting the facts straight, on the other hand, has been taking place on this
thread.

How many Sony items do you have?

Okay. Since we have to get into a ****ing contest about equipment:

Sony KV-27S66 television
Sony SL-HF400 SuperBeta hi-fi VCR
Sony SL-HF2000 SuperBeta hi-fi VCR
Sony SL-20 Betamax VCR
Sony SVO-160 VHS hi-fi VCR
Sony SLV-575UC VHS hi-fi VCR
Sony SLV-750HF VHS hi-fi VCR
Sony MDR-600 Monitor Headphones
Sony CPD-200GS monitor
Sony CPD-100SF montior
Sony SCPH-1001 PlayStation
Sony SCPH-30000 R PlayStation 2
Sony MDP-1000 LaserDisc player
Sony STR-DA4ES Digital Surround Receiver
Sony DVP-S360 DVD/CD Player
Sony ICF-C121 Clock Radio Alarm
Sony CDX-C560 MobileES car stereo
Sony CRX-140E Spressa IDE CD-RW
Sony CCD-TRV58 Hi-8 Camcorder
Sony SPP-95 Cordless Telephone
Sony SPP-S9101 Cordless Telephone
Sony M-540V Microcassette Recorder
Sony CPS-88S Multiband Radio Boombox
Sony D-105 Portable CD Player
Sony WM-FX403 Radio/Cassette Walkman
Sony WM-FX38 Radio/Cassette Walkman
Sony WM-FS191 Radio/Cassette Sports Walkman
Sony WM-EX102 Cassette Walkman

Apparently, a hell of a lot more than what you've got.

And I totally expect a backstabbing response like "oh, you own so many Sony
products, it's so obvious why you were in disagreement with me."

I'd hate to burst your bubble, but I also own many other electronics made by
other brands, mainly Japanese (Pioneer, JVC, Panasonic/Technics, Toshiba,
Yamaha, Onkyo, Mitsubishi, Akai, Hitachi, NEC), that have been as good, if not
superior, to some of my Sony items listed.

With such experience, I can assure anyone that if they want quality
electronics, they should buy Japanese unless they are willing and able to blow
a small fortune for exotic stuff from brands like Sunfire, Krell, Bryston,
Runco, Linn, Proceed, Meridian, Bang and Olufsen, Seleco, Lexicon, and various
other brands, many of which the general public do not know exist. - Reinhart