LASERandDVDfan

Default I dropped the tv ( Sony circa December 1985)

Listen up, don't be a nit picker...

Specifying very significant details that you either ignored or didn't factor is
not nit-picking.

Reading your post establishes the idea that Sony TV sets are not durable.
Posting a hyperlink to an Epinions article with a very vague description of
what the post was about tends to strengthen the impression you are trying to
create with your wrtiting.

However, when someone with any sense with electronics repair reads the article,
they'll find the particular scenario from that story would cause damage to ANY
TV set.

The point of that story is simply that after
mishandling by (in this case transporting) the sony tv had sustained
some damage to the picture tube which could only be repaired by a tube
replacement at great expense.

But what degree was the mishandling taken to? Apparently, according to the
Epinions article, a lot.

The story also describes that the mainboard had to be replaced by the
technician just to get the set to turn on in the first place.

If a drop was enough to destroy the original mainboard, then it may also be
enough to shift the innards of a picture tube. The larger the tube, the more
susceptible it is to this kind of damage. I don't care if it's a Sony, a
Toshiba, a Panasonic, or a Loewe. If a drop damages the mainboard to the
extent that it won't work anymore, then it's likely that the tube could be
trashed as well.

I stand by my arguments and feel that your claims are in error by bad example.
- Reinhart