Sam Goldwasser

Default Dental X-ray machine

FWIW, I think 10 percent efficiency is highly optimistic. Probably closer
to 1 percent for a typical X-ray source of this type. Of course, if
you have the actual specs, I'll defer to those.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

(Ceraboy) writes:

Al A. wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:53:18 -0700, "Sofie" wrote:

Yea..... they are used by dentists who know what they are doing, know how to
properly operate the machine and know how to observe proper safety
procedures to take dental x-rays......
........ what else did you what to know?
----------------

Yes, I know all of that.

As a matter of fact, I am working on this for a dentist who is going
to bring it to a village in a shockingly poor part of the world, in
order to provide dental care a few times a year to a place where the
last time there was any medical or dental care was nearly 7 years
ago. He does this strictly on donated money, and at great personal
risk and cost. I am trying to help him out. I have no intention of
taking any dental X rays, nor did I indicate any intent to do so.

I am converting this to be a portable unit (it was an "office mobile"
type, this is the third conversion I have done.) so that it can be
gotten there. Part of the trip is via canoe, and most of the rest is
via a beatup old 4WD truck, up some very treacherous mountain roads,
accompianied by armed guards. It will be run by generator.

I have been an electrical engineer for over 20 years. I design ,build
and service (12KV, 20KW) power supplies for electron beam vapor
deposition systems, and ion beam guns.

If you fear for my safety, I appreciate your concern, but please
don't. I have a mom and a wife for that.

I have several question concerning the type and amount of transformer
oil that is used in the head of one of these units. If anyone here
has, and is willing to offer, any specific knowledge about this unit,
I would much appreciate your assistance, it will be used to help
people who are truly in need.

If you have only to offer snide remarks like the one above, please
don't waste your time on me. I am not worth the effort, I assure you.

Thank you,
AL

Al,

The detials of your task are helpful. I have never directly worked on
this unit as I usually work with x-ray diffraction equipment which has
a water cooled jacket around the oil cooled tube for continuous
operation. Most new tubes that I am aware of are not serviceable (or
were not made to be serviceable), however, I have seen some tubes with
a plug that could be removed carefully to add oil. If the oil level
is low however, I would recommend replacing the x-ray tube all
together. Remember, less than 10% of the energy from the electron
source is converted to x-rays and remaining 90+% is dissipated as heat
which will eventually damage the anode target. If there is evidence
of oil loss, there is a good chance the tube may not last long in such
a remote location. The duty cycle on this unit is 50 seconds on, 10
minutes off. In my previous e-mail I said the exposure time was 20
milliseconds which is the minimum exposure, and I believe the unit is
adjustable to up to 2 second exposures. Depending on the previous
use, the tube could last or not. Also, I would be fairly concerned as
to the surviveability of this unit given such a rigorous trip as the
Oralix 65 & 70 were known to be more fragile than most. Good luck