CJT

Default Replacing electrolytics

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Jerry G." wrote in
:

You should use the ones that are rated for 105 deg Cels. Use any good
quality cap, as long as the specs are proper. Just make sure that the
voltage rating is the same or higher than the original. A higher
voltage rated cap will most likely last longer, as long as the heat
and stress to the cap is within its tolerance. It is heat that
destroys the caps more than anything else.

I beg to differ.
In switchers you not only want 105deg caps,you want LOW-ESR caps.IMO,the
low ESR is more important.That's where the stress comes from.

I don't see ESR specified on catalog pages for capacitors (e.g. at
Digikey), so what should I be looking for in the specifications, and
what is a good value, in your opinion?