Default RCA DRC212 DVD Player Problem

wrote:

Got a neighbor who has an RCA DRC212 DVD Player that he complained would
not play discs. I found it would play older discs, such as "Air
America", but would not play newer discs such as "Payback". Also, it
won't play the DVD+R discs made by my Philips DVDR985.

I gave up on it, unplugged it, and let it sit for a couple of weeks.
Plugged it in again this morning, and it played everything I threw at
it--except for "I Spit On Your Grave", the last one I tried. When that
happens, it displays a message that essentially says "No Disc
Inserted". After that, it wouldn't play anything, even discs that it
had played only 5 minutes before.

Unplugged it again for a few minutes, and tried "Payback" again--played
like a champ. Then, put in "Independence Day", and it balked. Tried
"Payback" again--just a couple of minutes from previously playing
it--and got the "No Disc" message.

What do all of you think? Is this player destined for the junk heap?
Considering that new players can be had for $50 or so, frankly it's not
worth working on. But, I thought if there just might be something you
guys know of that I don't, I might be able to make it work.

Thanks in advance,

Lakeside

Thanks, guys,

Yeah, it sounds thermal to me as well. And, I concur that repair would
certainly cost more than a replacement.

I think neighbor has had it too long to exchange.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Lakeside