Jim Adney

Default using mosfets as rectifiers?

On 8 Jun 2004 10:37:53 -0700 Winfield Hill
wrote:

If that's true, the FET should be paralleled with a Schottky diode.
For that matter, did anyone suggest he simply use Schottky diodes?

I may be wrong, but I think both you guys have missed the point of his
question. He stated that he is already using Schottkys. He wants
something with less voltage drop. He asked about MOSFETS.

I believe he was hoping that he could use some kind of active
rectifier circuit using driven MOSFETs so that there would be NO
forward voltage drop. I suspect that he has no knowledge of the
reverse intrinsic diode (which makes this approach a complete looser)
and hadn't yet thought about how he might come up with the voltage
necessary to turn the MOSFETs on.

The short answer is that MOSFETs are not the solution he was hoping
for.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA