John Stone

Default Please help - 36" RCA ProScan problems (with video!)

I purchased a 36" RCA Proscan TV when I first moved out 4 years ago.
Fast forward to this evening, my wife and I turn the TV on and are
greeted by a few seconds of strange, bright horizontal lines followed
by an abrupt and violent turning off, again for a second or two, then
on again and off again.

It looks completely fritzed!

I took a little video clip of the behavior if it helps anyone diagnose
what could be happening: http://www.stonemantis.com/TV.AVI

Needless to say, I don't have the $1500 I blew on it 4 years ago since
we just closed on a house a few months back. And I won't have
anywhere near that amount starting in 7 months, due to a rapidly
approaching new family member. Gulp!

I'm kicking myself for not re-purchasing an extended warranty. I
bought a 3 year warranty originally and when the renewal came in the
mail everyone told me not to bother, hardly anything ever goes wrong
with TVs - did I just make a $1500 mistake? Could such a thing be
repaired? Wife and I are very grateful for any help!

John
Buffalo, NY