Reader

Default Preventing a fireplace filling room with smoke

(Tim Pollard) wrote in message om...
Thanks for all the responses - lots to chew on there (and I'm now very
pleased I don't have a thatched roof).

Looking in more details at the fireplace, my clay pipe is about 10" by
7" - ie. area roughly 70 sq in. My fireplace area (w x d) is 23" x 14"
or 322 sq in. therefore my ratio of areas is 322/70 or 4.6, so should
be well within the accepted practice referred to above. It is off
centre (about 3" from right side, 10" from left) which may be a
factor. The angled piece seems to run up at about 45 degrees.

To answer some of the other questions posed above. At the top of the
chimney is a conventional chimney pot - not capped. The smoke is not
flooding out, but rather just leaking out slowly into the room from
the hearth. I'm going to try a selection of the ideas above later
(when i;m feeling brave).

Does anyone know of any sources on line for cowls to go in the
fireplace.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

TP

Have a think about getting one of these;
http://www.flamewavefires.co.uk/tortoise_overview.html

I am planning on getting one of these very soon. It solves all the
problems of sizing etc. I also like them because they have a lifetime
garauntee which means i will keep it from one house to the next.

They aint cheap though.. The size i want is around £850.