Eric R Snow

Default Substituting NiMH and NiCD for Alkaline?

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 00:32:22 +0900, H. Dziardziel
wrote:

On 30 May 2004 06:58:16 -0700, (Jason
Ducharme) wrote:

Hi,

I am currently in South Korea and have been looking for rechargeable
alkaline batteries for my digital camera. It's an HP 620 and is
supposed to run on 4 x AA Alkaline batteries. Back in North America I
was using rechargeable alkaline batteries that I bought at Walmart,
but I can't find these anywhere over here.

I have, however, found rechargeable AA NiCD and NiMH batteries. Is it
ok to go ahead and use these in place of the alkalines, or will this
damage my camera?

Thanks in advance,

Jason Ducharme

Rechargeable alkalines are manufactured and sold in Korea under
the Alcava brand but the packaging may be all in Korean (can't
remember). They are found in all hypermarkets, department stores
and most convenience stores.

As others have suggested NiMh are the way to go but if the camera
shuts off too soon because of the lower NiMh voltage no harm done.
Try brand manufacturers like Panasonic, Sanyo etc.

My Pentax camera uses two NiMH batteries. The manual says that
alkalines are OK but will not last long. Apparently, the NiMH
batteries have a flatter discharge curve so the voltage doesn't drop
much until the battery is almost dead, The typical Duracell, etc.
batteries last only about 1/3 as long as the 1800 mah NiMH batteries
in this camera. But they will still work in a flashlight. When the
NiMH batteries won't power the camera anymore they won't work in the
maglite anymore either.
ERS