Elmer Bataitis

Default Trinitron monitor faults

"Peter Baran" wrote in message
I have an AppleVision 850AV monitor, which uses a 20" Sony Trinitron tube.
It was made in late 1997. Over the last year it has developed a multitude

of
problems effectively making it unusable.

1. Image has lost focus.

2. Many resolutions and/or refresh rates (but not all) have developed a
proportion problem. The image at the sides is very squashed whereas it is
spread out at the centre. Some resolutions and/or refresh rates have

ceased
to work altogether, even if they are not out of range - screen goes blank
and makes a weird noise.

3. Most annoyingly - the whole picture ripples all the time. The pixels
basically jitter, and the monitor emits a buzzing sound. This occured
recently and very suddenly, on all resolutions.

I have taken the screen apart and looked at the Analog board. I found a
charred bit and resoldered a couple of burnt contacts. Put it all back
together but no improvement. 1 should be an easy fix, but what about 2 and
3? I have no idea where to begin.

TIA.

I don't think you should even bothertrying a repair. It sounds exactly like
my Apple 17" that I tossed last month. Trinitrons just never seem to repair
right. Just get a new monitor on ebay. I bought 3 (yes, three) 17"
Viewsonics for about $100 including shipping.

I just looked and there's a 17" applevision 17AV, for $10, plus shipping. A
bit smaller, but you won't need a monitor adapter nor have to buy an
outboard sound system.

Once you get something like that then keep your eyes open for a nice cheap
19" monitor with speakers. Buy a monitor adapter anyway so you can use any
monitor on your Mac.