jakdedert

Default Pioneer M-790 amp adjustment

Sofie wrote:
Asimov:
Only very, very, very, very few amplifier designs can play into a
short-circuit without damage. Even expensive and well designed power
amps can have catastrophic failures when loaded into a short-circuit.
As you know, fusing the speaker outputs will help protect the
speakers from the dc rails if the output stages short out, but the
amp will be already fried.
It is my frequent observation that the Pioneer design that we are
discussing is not tolerant of much at all and is prone to failure
when other amps keep on working. It is my opinion that putting
expensive repair money into a flawed design is a waste and would be
better put to use in purchasing a decent Yamaha or similar receiver.

snip

Granted the above, but I remember a review of the Crown DC-300 in the
70's...quote as nearly as I recall was "...a screwdriver across the output
binding posts at full power elicited some pretty impressive sparks, but no
damage..."

They don't make 'em like the used to.

jak