Caroline

Default PSU Fan Direction

"Franc Zabkar" wrote
C wrote
snip but comments noted
Per your other post that talked about obtaining the last call diagnostic

report:
I am using the directions at http://www.modemsite.com/56k/x2-hyperterm.asp

and
http://www.modemsite.com/56k/usehyper.asp
to try to obtain this but so far no luck. I'm having problems at about step 5

of
the first site. But I'm unfamiliar with a lot of what exactly this is doing,

so
I'll keep studying it, experimenting and trying.

Have you enabled command echo with ATE1? Until you do this, you may be
typing blind.

Evidently. No idea how to enable anything. I need to dig into this a lot more.
(It's probably way more efficient for me to do this than to have you
troubleshoot via an internet forum, though your trouble is appreciated.)

BTW, if you wish to retrieve the modem's last call diagnostic report,
avoid using the AT&F command just prior to doing so. On some modems
this will reset the diagnostic data. On others, like my own
Rockwelloid, AT&F resets the "reason for disconnect", but leaves the
data intact.

I haven't given this another shot yet but likely will sometime in the next few
months.

Seems like most of my disconnects occur when I'm typing a long email or Usenet
post. I've checked my Outlook Express settings and some other modem-related
setting involving being "idle," but no luck.

snip

With a PSU now twice the size of the original one, I am not getting the

freeze
ups I used to get before. Before, I had to tread carefully before bringing up

few applications simultaneously and quickly, due to seeing lock-ups before.

Or I
avoided doing this at all. Now it seems I can start up as many applications

as I
would ever want, as quickly as I want, and I do not get lock-ups.

I have to wonder about how PSUs are rated. Your initial post stated
that your PSU was a 90W device which, at face value, seems seriously
low.

No, I think it's right. This was and still is a very barebones computer. I don't
do video games. I have only a single hard drive, CD-Rom drive, and floppy drive.
Nothing else extraordinary at all.

The old power supply has a label on it that says the max. output is only 70
Watts. This contrasts with what Gateway and other sources say about it being a
90-watt power supply. Probably a little semantical distinction about "power
rating."

But then I doubt that many, if any, PC PSUs actually deliver
anything near their claimed output.

This would be consistent with what I say above.

In fact I've only ever heard of
one PC PSU that even regulates properly. By that I mean that the vast
majority of PSUs "regulate" by taking a weighted average of the +5V
and +12V rails, and then assume that the other supply rails will fall
within spec solely on the basis of their turns ratio. A poor design,
IMHO ...

Haven't looked at this.