Jason D.

Default RCA Projection TV: P52152ST

On 13 May 2004 12:23:52 GMT, (John Del) wrote:

Subject: RCA Projection TV: P52152ST
From:
(John)
Date: 5/13/04 12:02 PM

The problem is...a common foe. They "started work already" and i would
be responsible for applicable labor charges and the 55 dollar service
call fee.

At this point, you're pretty much screwed. If you pay the charges accrued up
till now, buying the parts and doing the work yourself will likely cost more
than their estimate. The HV block must be carefully installed, as any
contamination on the leads or internal gaskets, or if the lead tips don't fully
seat in the bottom of the block, will lead to a short life of the new part.

With recapping of the SMPS, checking the HV caps, completely cleaning the HV
leads and gaskets, properly installing the leads (a feel thing as much as
anything), and using an RCA original block, the repair will last virtually
forever. We do these complete with PU\Del for under $350 US as described above.

For what it's worth, I've seen these done for what your guy is charging, and
doing a lousy job. If they do the work properly, at least the job should last.
Good luck.

Agreed, I have seen shoddy jobs on these HV blocks and didn't last
long, THIS is fussy job, I got good at it. Many had missing gasket
sleeves (!!) and twisted up wire tip (shoddy poke!).

The newer HV blocks in those HDTV and burnt R14705, oh please!! Awful
way to remove those wires. You have to be really physical to YANK the
wires out and at same time taking care not to hit anything else on the
way when wire suddenly let go. Grunts with effort...SNAP, sigh,
grunts-SNAP then 3 more to go.

Cheers,

Wizard

PS: missing sleeves can be replaced with short sections cut off from
newer black RCA style long sleeved HV suction cups. Fits fine and
does seal because it has same effort when pushing those wires in.
Replacement sleeves is available from RCA but it is about 5 dollars
EACH, not a packet of few! Use silicone dielectric grease makes
installation easier & reliable. RCA should use twist & lock stuff.
:-)

John Del
Wolcott, CT